Matchplay Terms & Conditions
The events will be run in accordance with ‘The Rules of Golf’ as laid down by the R&A and the Local Rules of the courses visited.
- The Matchplay is open to all golfers, male and female who have a valid WHS handicap.
- Competitors under the age of 18 as of May 6, 2023 are welcome to take part but must be accompanied by an adult who is over 18 years of age as of May 6, 2023.
- The handicap limit for the Matchplay is a Handicap Index of 24 for all participants.
- Should a player’s handicap exceed the limit on the day, their handicap will be reduced to the handicap limit.
- A player is solely responsible for playing from their correct handicap.
- iGolfers and Open Play members, who are entering the Summer Matchplay must have at least 10 rounds on their England Golf record.
Entry Requirements, closing dates and refunds
- All payments must be made upon entering the Matchplay.
- Registration will close on May 2, 2023 and the first round will commence from May 6, 2023.
- All participants must have a valid WHS handicap index.
- If a player chooses to withdraw, the following penalties will apply on a sliding scale for administration purposes:
- Up to 60 days before the closing date of the event: players receive a full refund.
- Up to 30 days before the closing date for the event: players receive a 50% refund
- Up to 14 days before the closing date for the event: players receive a 25% refund
- If a player withdraws after the closing date for the event their entry fee is non-refundable.
- A player can substitute him/herself with another eligible player provided full details of that player are given to the organiser prior to the First Round commencing.
- Once the Matchplay has commenced you cannot change or substitute your partner.
- Should the Matchplay become oversubscribed a waiting list will be used. The waiting list will operate on a first come, first served basis. Should a spot arise, the first pair to be contacted and to accept will be the first pair to fill the remaining spaces.
- A single golfer can register on behalf of the pair. Please take time to fill in both players’ details correctly, including spelling of names, consistency of names, email addresses and membership numbers. You are responsible for your pair being contactable, arranging of matches and having correct handicap Indexes.
- An individual cannot register with multiple partners and each pair can only register one entry.
Matchplay Format – Including handicap allowance
- The playing format for the knockout rounds is Betterball Matchplay with a 90% handicap allowance under the World Handicap System.
- Ladies and Gentlemen will compete against each other according to the CONGU Mixed Tee Calculator in accordance with the WHS for a Matchplay competition format. Handicap adjustments should be applied to the playing handicap prior to your match in accordance with the WHS system.
- Round 1 will get under way on May 6, 2023 and is to be completed by June 18, 2023.
- Participants will be split into local regions to avoid long–distance travelling and given plenty of time to complete their matches.
- You’ll be drawn either home or away in each round. You will either have home advantage at your golf club, or get the opportunity of experiencing a new course and environment.
- The winner of each match is responsible for the submission of the result. Results are to be submitted direct to NCG by emailing [email protected].
- In the event of matches being all square after 18 holes they will be decided by a sudden death play off commencing at the first hole played and the appropriate shots will be given.
- If it is agreed that a play-off cannot be concluded due to daylight then the match will be replayed at the away team’s course on another mutually convenient date.
- If it is agreed between the pairs that a match has to be abandoned during the round due to lack of daylight or the course becoming unfit for play, then play shall resume from the point where the match was abandoned as stated in the Rules of Golf on a future date agreed between pairs.
Regional Finals Format
Should you successfully progress through the knockout rounds then you will take your place at a Regional Final.
These will be held during October 2023 at two fantastic venues, Ganton & Worplesdon.
Which final you will play in will be allocated on a geographical basis. However, if some regions have more qualifiers than there are spaces at the finals then you may be moved to an alternate region.
- The format will be Betterball Stableford with a 85% handicap allowance.
- Participants must bring photo ID, and a valid handicap certificate.
Participants in the regional finals will not be provided with accommodation and are required to make their own arrangements regarding both accommodation and travel.
- The winning pair at each regional final will earn themselves a place in the USA for the Grand Final in 2023.
General Terms and Conditions
- Every golfer should look to organise and play matches as soon the draw is made. Do not wait until the deadlines. Once complete you will be able to arrange your next match.
- Once you have registered your pair you will be sent a confirmation. After the closing date you will then be sent the contact details of your 1st round opponent in order to arrange your match.
- It is understood that when giving times and dates, consideration for peoples work will be a given.
- A weekend date must be offered.
- Times and dates should take into consideration daylight hours.
- A minimum of 5 dates must be provided, though there is an expectation that people will explore all options before determining that a date cannot be agreed upon.
- All host venues for our regional finals are confirmed, however NCG reserve the right to amend both date or venue should circumstances outside of our control or participation numbers require us to do so.
- There are no alternatives to the Grand Final Prize, the itinerary offered will be fixed and a cash alternative is not an option.
- The Grand Final will be hosted in the USA as per the prize details, the itinerary itself is subject to change.
- Finalists will be responsible for their own travel arrangements to the airport in the UK. If overnight accommodation is required this will also need to be arranged by the finalists.
- Only the advertised itinerary is included in the Grand Final prize and will be covered by NCG, additional expenses such as food and beverages are to be covered at the finalists own expense.
- Any test requirements for British Nationals and vaccination requirements are to be adhered to and covered by participants.
Should circumstances outside of our control prevent us from delivering the Grand Final prize as planned, we will provide an alternative arrangement for our finalists at our discretion. The same trip will not be postponed to a later date.
- NCG will not be responsible for any accommodation or travel arrangements for participants in the Regional Finals.
- All previous winners of the NCG Top 100s Tour Grand Final or winners of an NCG Top 100s Matchplay Regional Final are ineligible for the main prize at any future Grand Finals or Regional Finals.
Many golf clubs offer courtesy and are happy to do this because their members will mutually benefit when playing away elsewhere, but some clubs will not permit this. If courtesy is not possible then we recommend the visitor fees being split four ways, but if not then the away team will need to pay a visitor fee to the club as per normal golf club policies
Shortened Course – The main thing is to get out and play so we would recommend either swapping venues, or playing the shortened course. The players should agree whether they play the shortened course as the match and accept the result, or whether to play 18 holes in total. For example a course which has 12 holes open. You should agree whether to hold your match over the 12 open holes, or whether to play 1-12 and then 1-6 to make up 18 holes. This will depend on weather and tee availability amongst other factors – so the players must make the decision themselves. Either option is acceptable to us – the main thing is you are getting out and playing.
- The winners of each Regional Final will receive a trip to the Carolinas in the United States of America.
- The prize includes four rounds of golf, return flights from the UK, seven nights’ accommodation and car hire while in the USA.
- Each winner is responsible for their own ESTA/Visa application and must ensure they meet the correct Vaccination entry requirements for the USA.
- Further information can be found on the UK and USA government websites.
- As you will appreciate, the COVID-19 pandemic means we are currently unable to guarantee that the NCG Top 100s Matchplay will go ahead as scheduled in 2023.
- If your area goes into a lockdown preventing your ability to play your matches we will extend deadlines to ensure all matches have the opportunity to be played
For any further questions or information, do not hesitate to call our office on 0113 2893979